This beetroot and pumpkin salad is pretty as a picture. But it tastes just as good as it looks drizzled with this beautiful goats cheese salad dressing. Perfect for a crisp autumn day.
As I write this, the clocks have ticked along and somehow we’re already in autumn. Where the year has gone I have no clue, but autumn brings with it tons of delicious seasonal veg. Pumpkin being one of the most lovely (this pumpkin feta tart is proof). To make this roast pumpkin and beetroot salad extra special, the pumpkin is roasted with all the sweet things. Red onions, crushed garlic and if that’s not sweet enough, it gets a fine drizzle of maple syrup to take it to ridiculous levels of tastiness. A good whack of thyme really boosts the flavour. Be sure to season it well too. This part of the recipe is so delicious you could just stop here and serve it with grains or grilled meat. But let’s keep going…
With the pumpkin taken care of, it’s the beetroot’s turn to shine. My beetroot and pumpkin salad is packed with texture. The beetroot is served raw, giving it a delicious crispness. I sliced it super fine on a mandolin (get yourself one of these), then tossed it with some balsamic and a touch of really good evo. Add in some super fresh beetroot leaves and a little sorrel if you can get your hands on some.
Last but certainly not least, is the heavenly goats cheese salad dressing. I tried a few different variations, but ended up using a brilliant goats cheese dressing recipe from Donna Hay. It really finishes off the beetroot and pumpkin salad perfectly. A big thank you to her for always being so inspirational.
It’s such a delicious salad that you could serve it as a meal in its on right. I’d probably add in a few Puy lentils in this case and make it as a main for two. Otherwise, it’d make a wonderful side as part of a big autumn spread.
GORGEOUS BEETROOT AND PUMPKIN SALAD
- 1 medium pumpkin or butter squash peeled & chopped into 1.5cm cubes (seeds reserved)
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a small handful thyme leaves
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
Goats Cheese Salad Dressing
- 75 g soft goats cheese
- 65 ml milk I used whole milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 large beetroot sliced into fine rounds
- 2 handfuls beetroot leaves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful pistachios chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F. Toss pumpkin, onion, garlic & reserved seeds in oil. Sprinkle with thyme & roast for 25 minutes or until golden. Drizzle with syrup.
- Meanwhile make the dressing. Blitz cheese, milk & vinegar until creamy.
- When squash is done, toss beetroot and leaves with oil & balsamic. Arrange on platter with squash. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with pistachios.