King prawn and courgette curry is perfect when courgette season is in full swing and the allotment is packed with them! If you’re new to growing your own, courgettes are a pretty great place to start. The seeds germinate easily and as long as they’re well watered, they’re problem free. We seem to be churning out delicious courgettes almost quicker than my toddler and I can pick them… almost!
This light and summery prawn and courgette curry really makes the most of these tasty veggies. It’s really low in carbs, so is perfect if you’re after a keto curry. Using courgette in curry dishes with lots of shallots, garlic and ginger is such a great idea, but my favourite little element is the addition of preserved lemons and basil, so zingy and fragrant. It’s more what you might call a ‘dry’ curry as there’s not really a sauce as such, but the end result is anything but dry, its unctuous, silky and so moreish! The king prawns seal the deal for the perfect keto curry. It’s light, low in carbs yet really satisfying at the same time (here’s another low carb curry recipe). You could serve it with my cauliflower rice, but it’s great on its own too. Add some sunshine and a nice crisp beer and life is good.
Full credit goes to Rick Stein for this prawn and courgette curry, his awesome book ‘India‘ is just full to the brim of inspiration and beautiful photography too. If you’ve not got a copy see if you can pick one up, as there are tons more delectable recipes in it. Cheers Rick!
King Prawn and Courgette Curry – Keto Curry
- 30 ml olive oil
- 5 banana shallots
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 20 grams ginger finely chopped
- 300 grams courgette finely sliced* – flowers sliced and reserved
- 30 grams pickled/preserved lemons finely sliced**
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp rosemary leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder as hot or mild as you prefer
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Small handful coriander leaves fresh
- Small handful curry leaves fresh
- Small handful basil leaves fresh
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Sweat shallots, garlic & ginger for 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add courgettes, prawns & lemon. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Add thyme, rosemary, chilli & garam masala, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly.
- Once prawns are pink and cooked through, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Stir through leaves and reserved flowers then serve.
Using courgette in curry recipes
When using courgette in curry recipes, try to pick ones that are about finger sized. This is when they’re at their most delicious!