These pork meatballs are packed with zingy lemon, crumbly feta and the freshness of mint, the perfect summer recipe! All the flavours come together with the fennel and chilli to make these pork meatballs a real treat. Serve three each for a delicious starter, or make them half the size for a tasty summer canapé. If you do make them smaller, be sure to adjust the cooking time so they are cooked through but stay beautifully moist (for canapé size aim for 3-4 minutes on the griddle, then 4 more in the oven). Serve these pork meatballs alongside a simple salad of griddled courgettes dressed in lemon and good olive oil and you have a fine way to start a warm summer’s evening.
Fennel and Chilli Pork Meatballs – An easy summer recipe
- 500 grams pork mince
- 50 grams feta crumbled
- 1 red chilli (medium heat) finely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 lemon zest
- 8 large mint leaves finely sliced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Creates 18 starter size patties or approx 36 canapés
- Preheat oven to 200’C.
- Thoroughly combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add ¾ of a teaspoon of salt and a good grind of pepper. Shape into patties by rolling in the palm ofyour hands. Refrigerate for at least ½an hour*, or you can make them a day or two ahead if you prefer.
- Heat a griddle pan to a medium-high heat then add the patties. Cook for 5 minutes, turning every minute or two until golden. Place on a parchment lined tray and bake for 5 minutes, or until they reach 75°C internal temperature on a thermometer**. Serve.